VENOM – October 5
When Eddie Brock acquires the powers of a symbiote, he will have to release his alter-ego “Venom” to save his life. Wouldn’t be on my radar but for Tom Hardy.
A STAR IS BORN – October 5
A musician helps a young singer and actress find fame, even as age and alcoholism send his own career into a downward spiral. Major buzz for this movie after it picked up momentum at the Venice Film Festival.
THE GREAT BUSTER – October 5
Documentary from Pete Bogdonavich about the great silent era comedian and innovator, Buster Keaton.
FIRST MAN – October 12
A look at the life of the astronaut, Neil Armstrong, and the legendary space mission that led him to become the first man to walk on the Moon on July 20, 1969. From the young director of Whiplash and La La Land. Overheard someone at Telluride Film Festival saying that Damien Chazelle told them that the movie needs to be seen in IMAX, so if you’ve got the money, go do that.
BEAUTIFUL BOY – October 12
Based on the best-selling pair of memoirs from father and son David and Nic Sheff, Beautiful Boy chronicles the heartbreaking and inspiring experience of survival, relapse, and recovery in a family coping with addiction over many years. I’d trust this more if it was from Linklater, but could be immensely impactful.
WILDLIFE – October 19
In 1960, a boy watches his parents’ marriage fall apart after the three of them move to Montana and his mother falls in love with another man. Directed by Paul Dano.
HALLOWEEN – October 19
Laurie Strode comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.
SERENITY – October 19
The mysterious past of a fishing boat captain comes back to haunt him, when his ex-wife tracks him down with a desperate plea for help, ensnaring his life in a new reality that may not be all that it seems. I like Steven Knight as a writer (Locke, Peaky Blinders) so anything he does, I will consider.
MID90s – October 19
Follows Stevie, a thirteen-year-old in 90s-era LA who spends his summer navigating between his troubled home life and a group of new friends that he meets at a Motor Avenue skate shop.
BURNING – October 26
Jong-su, a part-time worker, bumps into Hae-mi while delivering, who used to live in the same neighborhood. Hae-mi asks him to look after her cat while she’s on a trip to Africa. When Hae-mi comes back, she introduces Ben, a mysterious guy she met in Africa, to Jong-su. One day, Ben visits Jong-su’s with Hae-mi and confesses his own secret hobby. Very excited for this film.
SUSPIRIA – October 26
A darkness swirls at the center of a world-renowned dance company, one that will engulf the artistic director, an ambitious young dancer, and a grieving psychotherapist. Some will succumb to the nightmare. Others will finally wake up.
Making A Murderer: Part 2 – October 19 On Netflix
We know it has been a few years since the 10 episode of this first season came on the scene, and maybe you have forgotten some things. Here is a link to a Forbes article with some great reminders. Netflix will release another 10 episodes this month, that will focus on what has happened after the conviction.
- Mystic River (October 1) (88% RT 🍎) (8.0 IMDb) – Clint Eastwood (director)
- V for Vendetta (October 1) (73% RT 🍎) (8.2 IMDb) – The Wachowskis (writers)
- The Shining (October 1) (86% RT 🍎) (8.4 IMDb) – Stanley Kubrick (director)
- The Illusionist (October 1) (73% RT 🍎) (7.6 IMDb)
- The Man In The High Castle Season 3 (October 5) (8.1 IMDb)
- Mr. Robot Season 3 (October 11) (8.6 IMDb)
- The Romanoffs Season 1 (October 12) (NA IMDb) – creators of Mad Men
- Raging Bull (October 1) (95% RT 🍎) (8.2 IMDb) – Martin Scorsese (director)
- Mulholland Drive (October 1) (83% RT 🍎) (8.0 IMDb) – David Lynch (director)
- Ace Ventura Pet Detective (October 1) (46% RT) (6.9 IMDb)
- Ace Ventura When Nature Calls (October 1) (33% RT) (6.3 IMDb)
- RBG (October 3) (94% RT 🍎) (7.5 IMDb) – Ruth Bader Ginsburg as herself
- Fantastic Mr. Fox (October 1) (92% RT 🍎) (7.8 IMDb) – Wes Anderson (director)
- Dances With Wolves (October 1) (82% RT 🍎) (8.0 IMDb) – Kevin Costner (director)
- Man On Fire (October 1) (39% RT ) (7.7 IMDb) – Tony Scott (director)
- Inherent Vice (October 1) (73% RT) (6.7 IMDb) – Paul Thomas Anderson (director)